After 12 years working at Mustard Seed, I didn’t expect to find myself crying in The Nest. But there I was, singing Happy Birthday, along with many of you. Only this time, it was my son receiving the birthday book.
Twelve years ago, I couldn’t possibly have imagined this moment: the blessing of our community pouring over my child. A school routine. Small, but special.
Twelve years ago, the first Nest class of 16 students joined Mustard Seed School. We couldn’t have imagined back then how that program would grow and flourish.
At Mustard Seed, we’re thinking about the next five years. The next twelve years. We’re making a plan! And we need YOUR HELP!
If you haven’t filled out a survey, please do! The deadline is October 20. Your voice will help us as we think about the years ahead.
How will we use this information? Here’s an overview of the Strategic Planning Process.
Gather Input and Stories (in process–survey closes Oct. 20)
- Action plan developed from our two-year accreditation process
- Stories, themes, and notes from our Strategic Planning Retreat
- Surveys from alumni, parents, students, staff, and faculty,
Review & Analyze Data (Oct-Dec.)
- Task force leaders and task force members will do this work.
- There are over 50 volunteers divided into the following task forces:
- Academic Program
- Staff Development
- Financial Sustainability
Research & Draft Recommendations (Jan-March)
- Task forces take all of the information and use their insights and experience to draft 6-8 recommendations.
Present Recommendations and Costs to Board (April)
- The board considers each of the 50-60 recommendations, the financial costs, and how each recommendation supports the mission of the school.
- The board in collaboration with school leaders, prioritizes recommendations and adopts a strategic plan.
Announce the plan to the community (May-June)
- We will keep you updated throughout the process, with a final unveiling at the end of this school year.
My eighth grade teacher said, “If you fail to plan, plan to fail.”
And you know that we do not plan to fail! We need lots of voices, though, to make a strong plan. We need YOU!
If you have felt the unexpected blessings of this community, please imagine with me. What comes next?
Tell us your experiences and what you would change. It will take many of us! We serve many different people and we need the voices of many different people. Please participate and we’ll work hard to craft the best possible plan.
(Don’t forget, the survey deadline is Oct. 20!)
And please reach out to me, email@example.com, if you have any questions. I look forward to a new plan and new possibilities.